If you want to gain access to your medical data and have been provided an access code by your practitioner, you must use it asap. Access Codes for medical records are only valid for 5 days after having been issued. If your Medical Records Access Code has expired, you will need to obtain a new one from your practitioner.
Your practitioner may send you your access code via e-mail, text message, or provide you a printed instruction sheet during your visit. Below is an example of an instruction sheet that may be provided to you.
Here is how you can use an Access Code:
- Laptop or Desktop computer, or large tablet. (Mobile phones will have limited capabilities in the portal at this time.)
- Reliable internet access.
- Up-to-date web browser. (Google Chrome is recommended)
- Your Access Code.
Step 1: Create a Patient Portal Account & Log in
- Go to www.smartnd.ca/login.php
- If you already have a Patient Portal account, log in, and go to Step 2.
- If you do not have a Patient Portal account yet, click on “Create a free account now”.
- Select “I am a Patient” at the top of the registration form, and then complete the form. Make sure to take note of the password you select.
- When you have completed the form, click on the blue Submit button, and then proceed to log into your new Patient Portal account.
Step 2: Enter the provided Access Code
- Once you are logged into your Patient Portal account, click on the green “Add Patient Record or SmartForm” button at the top left of the interface.
- Enter the code provided on this page into the code fields that come up, then click on “Submit”.
- That’s it! You will now have access to the data associated with that code.
Make sure that you do not share your access code with anyone. Once used, the access code is no longer valid, however you should still take appropriate steps to ensure that it cannot be obtained by anyone else.